Extending / changing your home

1. Check if you need planning permission

If you are considering making changes to your home, including work within the boundary of your property/garden you may need to apply for householder planning permission.

Planning permission is not needed for all building work to your home. Under permitted development rules you can carry out a number of projects, provided they meet certain limits and conditions. 

Information on Common projects

If you're not sure if you need planning permission, send us the details of your proposed work. The information you provide will be reviewed by a planning officer and they will give you an informal response within 20 working days. 

You will need the following information:

  • Your details
  • Site details
  • Information about the proposed work including:
    • the materials you intend to use
    • dimensions in metres
    • location from neighbours/road
    • detailed sketch showing any trees on the site

Please note, this is an informal check if you need a definitive response you will need to apply for a lawful development certificate.

Check if you need planning permission