Horse riding warning signs

Page updated on: 27/01/2021

You may apply for signage if an open bridleway / byway / green lane crosses the highway, including a staggered crossing requiring riders to use a section of the highway connecting the bridleways / byways / green lanes and also at equestrian access points on the highway i.e. local facility where horse riders may meet and congregate.

How to apply

To make an application you will need to provide the following:

  • plan of routes normally taken and length of routes
  • plan of crossing points on highway with specific locations identified
  • No. of horses kept at stables
  • Number of regular riders
  • number of horses crossing

Please send your application form by email to: or post to Technical Services Department, Traffic Management Section, Parc Myrddin, Richmond Terrace, Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire, SA31 1HQ.

Once we've received your application we will review accident history and incident history involving vehicles, pedestrians and horses as this information will be taken into consideration. As part of our assessment we will review traffic volumes, average speed of vehicles and the visibility on the road.

We will also contact the Carmarthenshire Horse Association on the applicant’s behalf to ascertain their views on the proposed location. 

Your application will be assessed within 6-8 weeks.

There is no charge for this application. 

Download application form (.pdf)

Travel, Roads & Parking