By working with partner organisations we aim to reduce the number of people killed and seriously injured on our roads by providing a variety of interventions, through different means, including enhanced rider training, collision scene management and first aid training, providing riders with a CRASH card, and by giving novice riders the extra knowledge to keep them safer on the roads.
We will also be targeting the wider road user public by highlighting the vulnerabilities of motorcyclists in Carmarthenshire.
Anyone who rides a motorcycle or scooter knows that they can be the quickest way to get around. Riding them is also exhilarating. But with traffic conditions these days, it’s more important than ever that you can deal with the unexpected.
Make sure you:
- Anticipate the actions of motorists.
- Always be alert and observant. Important when you are negotiating junctions or roundabouts; and when you need to look out for other vulnerable road users.
- Ensure that you ride at a speed that will enable you to slow down and stop in good time. The unexpected can happen.
- Overtake safely. Can you see hazards? Is there a bend or a junction? Can you overtake without speeding up or swerving too much?
- Always take a ‘lifesaver’ glance over your shoulder before carrying out manoeuvres.
- Make sure that you are seen. Dipped headlights, even in good daylight, can help you to be seen.
More from Travel, Roads & Parking