Report a damaged manhole cover / drain

Page updated on: 19/03/2024

A highway gully is a drain in the ground covered by a metal grid and is usually at the kerbside of a road. Rain water flows off the road surface into these gullies and then through underground pipes and sewers. The majority of gullies are connected to public sewers that carry both foul and surface water.

A manhole cover is used to stop anything or anyone from falling into a service shaft on roads and pavements. Manhole covers on private property are not the Authority's responsibility.

You can report any of the following defects here for gully grating / manhole and drain covers:

  • missing
  • broken or dislodged
  • incorrect type
  • cover has a slippery, polished or smooth surface
  • level of cover is raised or too low

To report, the following information would be extremely useful:

  • Area Location - street name/address/landmark and use the map to locate or describe where it is exactly
  • Location - is it in the middle of the road or pavement or near/on the kerb and which side of the road
  • Shape/size - please provide as much detail
  • Description - what is the issue  
  • Photo - you can take a photo on your smartphone where it is safe to do so and upload it

Report a damaged manhole cover / drain

To report an emergency, please contact us during office hours on 01267 234567 or outside normal office hours on 0300 333 2222. During severe weather, you may have to hold the line for an operator. Incidents will be dealt with in priority order.

Please note: Issues reported outside of office hours will be reviewed the next working day, subject to available resources.

Travel, Roads & Parking