Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person

If you are deaf or hard of hearing we can provide a sign language interpreter at any appointments you have with us. Mobile hearing loop is also available. Please let us know when you make the appointment.

If you use a text phone you can contact any telephone number within the Council by putting 18001 before the number.

When visiting the Hwb / Customer Service Centre all centres have automatic doors on the entrance with all services available on the ground floor.

Find out how to contact us.