Discretionary housing payments

Page updated on: 21/02/2024

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a short-term payment you can apply for if you claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (with Housing costs) but are finding it difficult to pay your rent.

When we award a DHP, we expect you to take some actions to help to improve your situation and we will advise you what these actions could be. This could include seeking debt advice or finding more affordable accommodation.

Funding is limited so we will decide the amount and period of the award. It is not a long term solution to your financial problems.

Discretionary Housing Payments can only be paid if you are receiving:

We cannot pay DHP:

  • To top up an award made under the Council Tax Reduction Scheme,
  • Towards ineligible service charges e.g. water, fuel charges or meals
  • If your other benefits have been reduced, for example, because you left your last job voluntarily.

What should I do if I disagree with your decision

If you are unhappy with our decision you can ask us to look at your application again. This is called a review.

You need to write to us requesting a review within one calendar month of the date shown on your decision letter from us. Your request and application will be assessed by a Team Leader and you will be advised of their decision within 10 working days of them receiving all the necessary paperwork required to make a decision.

If you are still unhappy with our decision you can ask for a judicial review. For independent advice you can contact Shelter Cymru on 0845 075 5005 or e-mail: advice@sheltercymru.org.uk.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment