A chaperone is someone who is licensed by a local authority to ensure the proper care and supervision of a child/children while taking part in a performances or activity. They must make certain that they have the best interests of the child/children they are looking after, including their health, well-being and education throughout the time of the performance or activity.
A chaperone is needed where the child’s parent or teacher is unable to supervise the child/children for the duration of the performance, rehearsal or activity. School age children, up to and including Year 11, who are taking part in a rehearsal, performance or activity must by law be accompanied by a registered chaperone. A chaperone can supervise a maximum of twelve children at a time. Performances can include any television, theatre, film or amateur performances as well as sporting activities or modelling.
To register as a Chaperone you will need to apply to the Local Authority where you live. It is necessary for prospective Chaperones to:
- Complete the Chaperone Application Documents. (For Carmarthenshire County Council – Chaperone Licence Application Form / Chaperone Applicant Consent Form / Code of Conduct – Chaperones)
- Provide 2 recent Passport Sized Photographs or 1 Digital Photo Selfie (if returning Application Documents via email)
- Be available to attend an Interview
- Provide satisfactory recommendations from 2 Referees
- Complete an Enhanced Disclosure Check (DBS). It is your Employer's responsibility to process the DBS Application. An e-mail will be sent to you with a link to your DBS Application Form. For Applicants who are applying to become a ‘Professional Chaperone’ there is a £40 Enhanced Disclosure Fee. Alternatively, if you have subscribed to the DBS Update Service, give consent for a Status Check to be undertaken.
- Attend Mandatory Child Protection Training hosted by the Local Authority.
You will receive a Chaperone Licence valid for 3 Years from the Date of Issue. This Licence will be recognised by all other Local Authorities, therefore enabling you to work as a Chaperone anywhere in the Country..
If you would like to apply to become a Registered Chaperone with the Local Authority, please contact the Education Welfare Team on EducationWelfare@carmarthenshire.gov.uk. A Duty Officer will respond to your query within 5 Working Days.
Children & Family Services
More from Children & Family Services