Admission to School - Information for Parents 2023-2024
In this section
Normal admissions arrangements for the academic year 2023 - 24
Detailed in this part of the document is Carmarthenshire’s procedures outlining the Normal (usual) point of admission to Nursery, Primary, Secondary and sixth form arrangements for the academic year.
Key Points - For Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools.
- By law Parents/Guardians must make an application to the Authority for a place.
- Closing dates for applications are set in the Admissions Schedule of Events Timetable detailed at the end of this document.
- Applications must be made by the deadlines
- There is no automatic transfer from a Nursery to Primary School.
- There is no automatic transfer from a Primary to Secondary School.
- Applications received after the deadlines are unlikely to get a preferred school place.
- There are specific Oversubscription Criteria used when allocating a school place.
- The nursery and primary school a pupil attends is not taken into account when allocating places. It is the home address which is taken into account when considering admission to a school.
- It is not possible for any person or school to guarantee, in advance, a place for a child at a school. Any such comments or assurances must be disregarded.
- An email or letter will be sent from the Authority advising if the application has been successful or refused.
- A child cannot start at a school until the parent/guardian has confirmed the place with the Authority.