Tourism brown signs

Page updated on: 19/04/2024

You will need to demonstrate that signage will be used to help direct people to the location rather than to promote your business/organisation. You can apply for brown signs for visitor attractions, hotels / guesthouses, restaurants, pubs, youth hostels, camping and caravan sites, places of worship and also towns and villages that find themselves bypassed by a major road.

You will need to provide the following information with your application:

  • Your personal details and business details
  • Your business must be recognised by Visit Wales and a member of its quality assurance scheme or an alternative recognised assessor that is appropriate to the destination. 
  • Location and number of signs required. Provide a map showing the exact location.
  • If you have any existing advertising signs you will need to provide a map showing their location.
  • Similar business / facilities in the area. 
  • If your business is less than 10 years old and you've done any work that required planning permission you will need to send proof that this has been granted.
  • How you promote your business and provide directions to visitors. This could include examples of promotional literature, advertising, website etc.
  • Parking facilities.

Your application will be assessed from both a tourism and traffic management perspective. The traffic management team will look at different elements that may affect whether the business is eligible for signage, for example if the highway can accommodate signage, how many signs may be required, etc.

If your application is approved you will receive a formal quote for the signs. The cost varies depending on the number of signs you require.

There is a £250 + VAT non-refundable administration fee for your application to be considered. You are also responsible for any future maintenance and costs.

Apply for brown tourism signs (pdf)

Travel, Roads & Parking