Vehicle access (dropped kerb)

Page updated on: 29/03/2023

Apply for a licence to have the kerb outside your property lowered and footway / verge reconstructed, also known as a vehicle access request.

Please note, applicants will be responsible for paying the full cost of the licence and the construction costs. The licence takes 28 days to process and issue.

Private contractors carrying out work will be required to hold a valid street works accreditation card and have at least £5 million public liability indemnity.

You will need to find out if the road on which you want to drop the kerb is an ‘A, B or C classified road’, you can do this by utilising the Find My Street webpage

A standard access is 4 dropped kerbs and 2 transition kerbs. Requests for a wider access will be considered, though may not always be granted.


There is a non-refundable application fee of £171 for an Officer to process the application to assess whether an access will be allowed. 

If your application is approved and issued it is up to you to appoint and pay a suitably qualified contractor to carry out the work to Carmarthenshire County Council specification. It is also your duty to notify the Council when the works will take place to enable Inspection by a Council Street Works Inspector.

Download application for a dropped kerb (.pdf)

Travel, Roads & Parking