Report a problem on a road

Page updated on: 03/10/2019

We are responsible for the maintenance of all county roads and footpaths and regular inspections are carried out to check for defects. We also have an annual programme of planned work, consisting of road resurfacing and pavement reconstruction schemes. This could include uneven or broken flagstones and potholes in the road, that can cause damage to vehicles.

You can report the following problems to us:

  • Overhanging trees
  • Spillages – oil, diesel or chemical
  • Blocked drains and gullies
  • Potholes / damage to the road or pavement

This list is not exhaustive, if you have a concern about one of our roads / pavements, please tell us. Any obstructions to the highway should be reported to the police. If conditions are severe enough, a police officer at the scene has the power to close the road. Where there is a significant hazard, we, as the highways authority, also have the power to close a road immediately without notification.

If you are telling us about a spillage, we are responsible for dealing with a range of spillages on to our roads this includes materials that are potentially toxic or dangerous and are dealt with as an emergency. 

Oil or diesel can cause slippery road surfaces which could lead to potential accidents. These spillages need to be cleaned up as quickly as possible.

Diesel spillages are generally dealt with by sanding the area and placing appropriate signs at the roadside. A petrol spillage does not usually present the same problem, as it will evaporate readily into the atmosphere. In severe cases the police may call for the area to be sanded. Before any work is carried out with chemical spillages the materials have to be assessed and the risks/hazards identified for those attending the incident.  

We are not responsible for trunk roads. There are a number of trunk roads in Carmarthenshire which are the responsibility of the South Wales Trunk Road Agency. These include:

  • A 477: Red Roses – St Clears
  • A40: Whitland – St Clears – Carmarthen – Llandovery – Halfway
  • A48: Pont Abraham - Carmarthen
  • A483: Pont Abraham – Llandeilo
  • A483: Llandovery – Cynghordy – Sugar Loaf

To report any issues on trunk roads please visit the South Wales Trunk Road Agency website or call 0300 123 1213. 

We are also not responsible for trees / shrubs causing an obstruction from a private property and drains or gullies on private land. Homeowners / landowners are responsible for the maintenance of any trees, hedges or shrubbery on to a public highway. If any vegetation from a private property restricts pedestrians or is dangerous to vehicular traffic, action can be taken under the Highways Act 1980. 

We shall give notice to owners, and seek their cooperation in trimming back the offending vegetation. However, after the expiry of the notice, we may arrange for works to be undertaken and recover the costs reasonably incurred from the owners.

If your report is an emergency, phone us on 01267 234567 (Monday - Friday, 8:30am – 6pm). If you need to let us know about an emergency outside of these hours please call Delta Wellbeing on 0300 333 2222.

Report a problem on a road