Sex establishments licence

Page updated on: 14/08/2023

We have adopted schedule three to the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (as amended by section 27 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009) which allows us to licence sex shops, sex cinemas and sexual entertainment venues in Carmarthenshire. Such premises are referred to as sex establishments.

Sex establishments fall into one of three categories:

  • Sex shop: A sex shop means any premises used for a business which consists of a significant degree of supplying or displaying sex articles
  • Sex cinema: A sex cinema means any premises, used to a significant degree for the exhibition of moving pictures, which are concerned primarily with the portrayal of or are intended to stimulate or encourage sexual activity
  • Sexual entertainment venue: Licences for sexual entertainment venues are required for any premises at which any live performance or live display of nudity is provided before a live audience for the financial gain of the organiser or the entertainer.

In deciding whether entertainment is licensable we will judge each case on its merits, but it will generally include (but not be limited to) lap dancing, pole dancing, table dancing, strip shows, peep shows and live sex shows.

Adult entertainment not classed as ‘relevant entertainment’ may still require licensing under the Licensing Act 2003. Associated activities such as the sale of alcohol will require a separate authorisation under the Licensing Act.

Apply for a licence

You are advised to contact us to discuss your proposal prior to submitting an application. You are also advised to read the relevant guidance and policy documents, as activities taking place at the premises may be licensable under separate legislation such as the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005.

Your completed application, together with any necessary supporting documentation and the appropriate fee, should be submitted to our licensing section. You can pay by cheque made payable to Carmarthenshire County Council or by phone with a debit or credit card on 01267 234567.

As a public body, we are under a duty to protect the public funds that we administer, and to this end we may use the information provided to us on application forms for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Download application form (.pdf)