Choosing a builder
If you are considering any work to your property, and you require a builder, you should consider this choice very carefully as this will probably be one of the biggest investments you are likely to make. You should thoroughly check any builder out before employing their services.
Here are some things you should consider doing:
- For large projects consider employing a professional to advise you.
- Discuss the extent of your arrangement with your professional.
- If you consider your job is small and you don't require a professional, try to get advice from someone in the industry that you know and trust.
- Always obtain quotations (at least three) and have them checked. An estimate is a rough guide; a quotation is usually a fixed price. Check if it includes VAT.
Some questions for the builder...
- Where have they worked before? Will they be happy for you to see their work?
- What is their expertise in the particular project you intend to carry out?
- Can they supply references from satisfied customers?
- Will they give you a final completion date?
Finally, reassure yourself by checking out the builder's work, references and other aspects like work habits with previous clients. It is best to ask the question now, don't wait until it's too late!
More from Building Control