Page updated on: 04/09/2023

These are some of the questions we get asked regularly. If you don't find the information you are looking for please contact us on 01267 246044 or e-mail: building.control@carmarthenshire.gov.uk.

Building Regulations are a set of standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health of people who use and go around those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and that facilities are provided for people with disabilities.

No. These are two entirely separate functions. Planning permission may be required even if the building regulations do not apply, as the proposal may be an exempt structure. Planning advice is available from the Development Control Section.

Surveyors in the Building Control Section perform this role. Highly qualified and experienced teams of surveyors will examine plans and carry out site inspections of work in progress: Their extensive knowledge of materials and construction methods and local conditions is available to assist you at all stages of the construction process.

  • When you erect or extend a building. 
  • When you materially alter a building e.g. carry out structural alterations. 
  • When you extend or alter a controlled service within a building e.g. install a WC. 
  • When you want to change the building's fundamental use. 
  • When installing replacement windows using a Builder or window company not FENSA registered.

There are two ways in which you can apply to us for permission to build:-

Either by depositing 'FULL PLANS' or by the 'BUILDING NOTICE' procedure.

Note: that if you are proposing to erect a building containing offices or shops you must deposit 'FULL PLANS'.

The benefits of the 'Full Plans' procedure are:

We will advise you on the Building Regulations at the design stage of your project, which means your plans are more likely to be passed by the Local Authority.

We will ensure that you have a decision usually within 3 weeks - passed or conditionally approved.

You may save yourself the costly delays that can occur if you work is not up to standard. See the information about 'FULL PLANS'.

The benefits of the 'Building Notice' procedures are:

Where the building proposals are for minor work the Building Notice procedure is simpler than the full plans procedure.

If your proposed work is not too extensive or complex it is a good idea to use a building notice, but your builder (or you) must know what he is doing as rectification of work can be expensive.

There are no limits to its use except as mentioned above where the building contains a shop or an office. 

Yes, we are obliged to make a charge for the work of administering the Regulations. The initial amount you have to pay will depend on whether you choose the Full Plans or Building Notice procedure. You should calculate the correct fee by reading the page on Charges. You will be sent an account for the balance of the fees after commencement

When a building that was not previously a dwelling is used as such. Where a building contains a flat where previously it did not. When a building is used as a hotel or institution where previously it was not. When a building becomes a public building (e.g. school, theatre, hall, church) where previously it was not.

If you have carried out work without first obtaining the necessary building regulation approval, you may have difficulty selling the property or re-mortgaging.

If the work was done after the 11 November 1985, there is a procedure that you can use to obtain permission retrospectively.

You should submit two copies of plans showing the work before and after with full constructural details, along with a regularisation application form and the appropriate fee. This type of fee does not attract VAT but is 150% of the normal fee (pre VAT) as indicated in the fee advice tables.

Once your application is received, a surveyor will contact you to visit the premises and evaluate what has been done. If remedial work is necessary this will be highlighted and once corrected, a regulation certificate will be issued.

You do not have to wait for the plans to be passed before starting work; however having them passed gives you some protection against unnecessary costs. After you have given us a Building Notice or sent us plans you can start work please try to give us 2 days notice. You may do this by telephone.

If you proceed with the work without having notified us you may be asked to undo it so that the Building Control Officer can check whether it complies with the Regulations.

When your work is finished you should contact your Building Control Surveyor to arrange a final inspection. We recommend that any final payments to builders are only made after the completion inspection has been carried out and a completion certificate issued.

If you carry out work without telling us you may be committing a criminal offence for which you can receive a fine upon conviction of up to £5,000. Problems can also arise in the future if the property is sold and the relevant local authority searches reveal that permission was not obtained.

Load More