Child Employment and Entertainment

Page updated on: 04/09/2023

Children involved in Entertainment (whether Professional or Amateur) may require a Child Performance Licence and a Licenced Chaperone. Regulated under the Children Young Person Act 1933 / 63 and the Children (Performances and Activities) (Wales) Regulations 2015.

The purpose of these requirements is to ensure that the 'Work' is not detrimental to the Child's Welfare and Education. Child Employment Work Permits are obtained via the Local Authority where “Employment is to take place”.


Child Employment

Part-time work

The youngest age a child can work part-time is 13, except children involved in areas like:

  • television
  • theatre
  • modelling

Children working in these areas will need a performance licence.

Full-time work

Children can only start full-time work once they’ve reached the minimum school leaving age - they can then work up to a maximum of 40 hours a week.

  • Once someone reaches 16, you may need to pay them through PAYE.
  • Once someone reaches 18, adult employment rights and rules then apply.


Child Performance Licence

A child may need a licence if they’re under school leaving age and taking part in:

  • films, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, or that take place on licensed premises
  • any sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid

The person in charge of running the event must apply to the child’s local council for a child performance licence. Please ask us if you’re not sure if you need one.


Supervision for the child

If the child will not be with their parent, school teacher or home tutor, they must be supervised by a chaperone approved by the council. Chaperones can apply for approval from the council.


For any information or guidance in relation to Child Licencing, please contact the Education Welfare Team on A Duty Officer will respond to your query within 5 Working Days.