Paying your Council Tax

Page updated on: 29/06/2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you have had a change in circumstances, or a reduction in your income, you could be entitled to Housing Benefit to help pay your rent, or a Council Tax Reduction to help towards your Council Tax payments. You can make a claim whether you’re unemployed or working; and how much you get depends on your income and circumstances, such as if you live on your own.

If you have been furloughed or if you are self-employed and have had to stop working, we will also be as flexible as possible, for example, we can arrange a deferment in your payment schedule, subject to supporting evidence of income loss. To arrange a deferment or for any other query in relation to your Council Tax, please

For those residents that are still in employment and can continue to pay their Council Tax, we would like to thank you, this will allow us to continue to provide critical services to communities during this uncertain time.

Please continue to visit our Newsroom for the latest information. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Your council tax is paid in 10 monthly instalments from April, unless you have asked to pay over 12 instalments. If you'd like to set up your payments over 12 months email: Payments are due on or before the 15th of each month unless you have chosen to pay by Direct Debit. If you become liable for Council Tax during the year then your instalments will be adjusted according to the number of payment dates remaining.

The easiest and most convenient way to pay is by Direct debit.

  • You can choose from 3 payment dates - 5th, 15th or 28th of each month.
  • Setting up a Direct Debit is simple and free, and you can cancel them at any time by writing to your bank or building society.
  • You don't have to renew your Direct Debit each year.
  • Direct Debit is guaranteed by the banks and building societies involved, so if a mistake is made you will get a full and immediate refund.

You will be notified in writing of the amounts, dates and frequency of payments to be deducted from your account and of any changes 10 days in advance, to give you time to query them if necessary.

If the payment details change you must fill in a new direct debit form and the changes you agree are made automatically. 

You can set up your Direct Debit over the phone on 01267 228602.

Alternatively you can print off the Direct Debit form, complete all sections and return to us at: Council Tax, Ty Elwyn, Town Hall Square, Llanelli, SA15 3AP.

Download Direct Debit form

We accept online payments or if you'd prefer call us on 01267 228686. You will need:

  • Account reference
  • Account name
  • Amount you wish to pay

We accept the following types of credit / debit cards - Visa, Mastercard, Switch, Solo, Visa Delta.

Pay Council Tax online  

You can pay at one of the Council’s payment offices:

Please make cheques payable to Carmarthenshire County Council.