Admission to School - Information for Parents 2023-2024
In this section
- SECTION A - Admissions to Carmarthenshire School
- Normal admissions arrangements for the academic year 2023 - 24
- When to apply
- At what age can children start school?
- Admission to secondary schools including sixth form
- Choosing a school – Catchment areas
- How to apply
- Awarding Places – Over-Subscription Criteria
- Moving/Changing Schools Outside the normal admissions arrangements. (Mid/In Year Transfers)
- Notification of Offer of a Place at a School
- Appeals regarding admission of pupils to community / voluntary controlled primary or secondary schools
- Admission To Voluntary Aided Schools
- SECTION B - Information on Education and Learning
- The Teaching of Welsh and English in Carmarthenshire Schools
- Information on Education and Learning
- SECTION C - Services to Pupils
- SECTION D - Carmarthenshire Schools and Pupil Summary
Thank you for applying for a place in one of Carmarthenshire’s schools. We are fortunate in having excellent schools and staff of the highest quality. Our general aim is the provision of education of the highest possible quality for all pupils, in accordance with their age, ability and interest/aptitude, so that they become rounded personalities, develop and use all their talents, and equip themselves to be responsible members of a bilingual community. I hope the guidance will be of help to parents/carers of children beginning school for the first time, and for parents/carers of children moving into the area. We appreciate that choosing a school can be a challenge, but we recognise the importance of this decision to you as parents or carers. This guidance is to support you in that process and includes:
• general information on our schools
• advice on how and when you need to make an application for a school place
• the process of awarding places and
• a range of policies such as school transport which may be relevant to your circumstances.
Before finalising your choice, we advise you to contact and visit the schools in your area to discuss with them the provision available and your individual circumstances. Information will also be available on the individual school websites and in their prospectuses. Please be aware that admission to your preferred school is not guaranteed. There are strict limits on the number of pupils that can be admitted to each school. Should there be more applications than places available, the applications received by the closing date must legally be processed first with the over-subscription criteria, as detailed in this booklet, used to priorities the award of the places available.To avoid disappointment and maximize the chance of obtaining a place at your preferred school, please ensure you submit your application by the specified closing date. We look forward to welcoming your child to one of our schools and wish them every success. We endeavour to make sure every child and young person is valued and valued equally and that they leave our school system both well educated, well informed and well qualified.
We will support all Carmarthenshire learners. We will ensure that our children and young people are happy, safe, and thriving, and that they are fulfilling their personal, social and learning potential.
Gareth Morgans - Director of Education and Children's Services