Admission to School - Information for Parents 2023-2024
In this section
- SECTION A - Admissions to Carmarthenshire School
- Normal admissions arrangements for the academic year 2023 - 24
- When to apply
- At what age can children start school?
- Admission to secondary schools including sixth form
- Choosing a school – Catchment areas
- How to apply
- Awarding Places – Over-Subscription Criteria
- Moving/Changing Schools Outside the normal admissions arrangements. (Mid/In Year Transfers)
- Notification of Offer of a Place at a School
- Appeals regarding admission of pupils to community / voluntary controlled primary or secondary schools
- Admission To Voluntary Aided Schools
- SECTION B - Information on Education and Learning
- The Teaching of Welsh and English in Carmarthenshire Schools
- Information on Education and Learning
- SECTION C - Services to Pupils
- SECTION D - Carmarthenshire Schools and Pupil Summary
SECTION A - Admissions to Carmarthenshire School
- There is no automatic right to a place at a school.
- You must make an application to an admissions authority for your child to be admitted to a school.
- There are limits on the number of pupils who can be admitted to a school in any one year. Once that limit is reached no further pupils will be admitted.
- If you have a child with additional learning needs then you are advised to contact the Headteacher of the school or the Department’s Pupil Progress Officers before applying.
- Apply by the deadline dates – see Admissions Timetable.
- If you make an application after these dates your application will be treated as being late and will be considered after those received before the deadline. This will reduce the chances of obtaining a place for your child at a school of your choice.
- If you are offered a place for your child you must accept the place by the date specified or the offer of a place will be withdrawn and the place offered to another pupil.
The admission of children to schools is controlled by an Admissions Authority.
Community and Voluntary Controlled Schools in Carmarthenshire
In the case of community schools (formerly known as county schools) and Voluntary Controlled schools within Carmarthenshire, the Admission Authority is Carmarthenshire Local Authority (LA). The contact details for Carmarthenshire County Council are as follows:-
School Admissions Team, Department for Education and Children, Block 2, St David’s Park, Jobs Well Road, Carmarthen, SA31 3HB.
Tel: 01267 246449, e-mail: email@example.com
Enquiries regarding Voluntary Aided Church Schools should be made to:
Church in Wales Schools
Rev’d John Cecil,
Diocesan Director of Education,
Pembrokeshire SA73 1AW
Tel No: 01646 692974
Mr Paul White,
Diocesan Director of Education,
Diocesan Education Office,
27 Convent Street,
Swansea SA1 2BX
Tel No: 01792 652757
The names, addresses and telephone numbers of neighbouring local education authorities are:
Strategic Director Learning and Partnerships,
Ceredigion County Council,
Canolfan Rheidol, Rhodfa Padarn, Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth SY23 3UE. Tel: 01970 633656
Director – People,
City and County of Swansea,
Guild Hall, Swansea SA1 4PE.
Tel: 01792 637521
Director of Children and Schools,
Pembrokeshire County Council,
County Hall, Haverfordwest SA61 1TP.
Tel: 01437 764551
Head of Schools Service,
Powys County Council,
Powys County Hall,
Spa Road East, Llandrindod Wells LD1 5LG. Tel: 01597 826422
NEATH PORT TALBOT
Director of Education,
Leisure and Lifelong Learning,
Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council, Civic Centre, Port Talbot SA13 1PJ.
Tel: 01639 686868