Temporary Event Notices

Page updated on: 15/02/2024

You will need to submit a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you wish to lawfully carry out licensable activities at premises which do not have a premises licence or club premises certificate; or the activity or the times at which it is to be carried out are not specified on an existing premises licence or club premises certificate.

Licensable activities (subject to certain exceptions) are:

  • The sale and supply of alcohol
  • Regulated entertainment (i.e. music, singing or dancing)
  • Provision of late night refreshment

There are some limitations on events held under a TEN:

  • No more than 499 people can be on the premises at any one time
  • Each TEN event can last up to 168 hours
  • There can be no more than 15 TEN events on a premises per year
  • No more than 21 days per year can be covered by a TEN at any premises
  • There must be a minimum of 24 hours between each event at any premises
  • Multiple TENS can be submitted at the same time but each event is a separate TEN with a separate fee payable. The limits set out above cannot be exceeded
  • You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

Apply for a TEN

Where the notice relates to a temporary structure such as a marquee or stage or where the notice relates to a part of a larger premises or event, you are asked to attach a line drawing to identify the TEN area clearly.

Notices must be received by us, the Police and Public Health Services at least 10 clear working days before the event is to take place in order for us to issue a Standard TEN. Notices can be accepted up to five clear working days before the event, but this will be classed as a Late TEN.

We advise you submit your notice to us, the Police and Public Health Services up to three months in advance of any event. This allows plenty of time to resolve any queries which might arise as well as avoiding the possibility of missing the statutory deadlines for submitting a TEN.

Before submitting your application we recommend you read our full guidance document which has information on the application process, fees, relevant addresses, limitations of use and who can object to a TEN.

The information you provide to us in relation to your temporary event notice will only be used for the purpose of authorising the event.  However, we will share details of the event, including your contact details and address with relevant council departments such as trading standards, children’s services and public health services as well as the other responsible authorities, including the Fire Brigade and the Health Authority. This will enable them to assist you with meeting statutory requirements including fire safety, health and safety and child safety.

You can apply for a licence on the gov.uk website or you can download the relevant documents and return them to us.

At this current time you are advised to submit a Covid Risk Assessment and an Event Management Plan along with your Temporary Event Notice.

Apply for a TEN