Licensing for events

Page updated on: 17/01/2024

The objectives of licensing are the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, prevention of public nuisance and the protection of children from harm.

You need to obtain a licence for the following activities:

In the context of the licensing act ‘regulated entertainment’ constitutes the following:

  • Plays
  • Film exhibitions
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling exhibitions
  • Live music (karaoke included)
  • Recorded music
  • Dancing by the public or performers

However, you do not require a licence for the following activities:

  • Films which are solely or mainly to demonstrate a product, advertise goods or services, or provide information, education, or instruction
  • Films as part of an exhibition in a museum or gallery
  • TV and radio broadcasts, providing they are shown “live” and not recorded
  • Religious meetings or services
  • Entertainment in places of public religious worship
  • Garden fetes (unless held for private gain)
  • Entertainment provided in a moving vehicle
  • Morris dancing
  • Incidental entertainment

There are different types of licences required for events;

All venues will require either a premises licence or a temporary events notice (TEN) to stage/host licensable activities. If the total capacity of the event, including staff and performers is below 499 then you can apply for a TEN (if your venue does not already hold a licence). If capacity is 500 or more, you need to apply to us for a premises licence.