Supplier Guide to Tendering

11. Getting Ready to Tender

There are certain questions we typically ask during tenders and it might help you to prepare some of the requirements in advance. This information includes:-

  • Tenderers are expected to have a DUNS number (for financial assessment). All Registered businesses in the UK and Ireland are automatically issued with a D-U-N-S Number. You can register for one here (


Typically we ask for a minimum of:

  • £10m Public Liability (any one occurrence)
  • £10m Employer's Liability (any one occurrence)

Depending on the requirement we may also ask for Professional Indemnity or Contractor’s All Risk Insurance.

Please note these levels may also be higher depending on the services/goods or works we are procuring. We also require the insurance to meet the following minimum ratings:

  • A M Best  -  A- (A minus)
  • Standard & Poor’s - BBB

Health and Safety

All companies with more than five employees are required to have a Health and Safety Policy. However, even if your company has fewer than five employees we maintain that you must give due regard for your Health and Safety responsibilities and you are therefore still required to have and enclose a Health and Safety Policy to be awarded work with the Council. Further information and a completed example and template, can be obtained from the Health & Safety Executive’s (HSE) website. The Council will require you to confirm that you have reviewed your Health and Safety Policy within the past three years and ensure that the Policy date reflects the date of the last review undertaken.

Your Health and Safety Policy must include the following:

  • Policy Statement - signed and dated
  • The Organisation and Responsibilities - how Health and Safety requirements are implemented
  • The Arrangements – standards and procedures adopted in practice
  • H&S policy is signed and dated

Risk Assessments

You may be required to provide an example of a completed risk assessment and safe system of work / procedure. Details on Risk Assessments can also be obtained from the HSE’s website. You may be required to provide an example of a completed risk assessment and safe system of work / procedure. Alternatively, you can call the HSE on 0300 003 1747