Noise complaints

Page updated on: 04/09/2023

Our small team of officers, who have recognised specialist qualifications in the field of acoustics and noise control, deal with around 1300 noise complaints every year. The most common noise complaints include:

  • DIY activities
  • Barking Dogs or other noisy animals
  • Wind farms
  • Commercial or industrial processes
  • Construction/demolition sites
  • Pubs /clubs or other areas of public entertainment
  • Music
  • Burglar alarms
  • Anti-social behaviour

There are also some sources of noise that cannot be dealt with under legislation, including:

  • Normal use of someone’s property, e.g. washing machine, flushing of toilets, walking up and down stairs
  • Arguments/shouting/screaming
  • Traffic noise on public roads
  • Reasonable amounts of dog barking
  • Children playing

There is no fixed level at which noise becomes a statutory nuisance, as defined by Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. A number of factors must be taken into consideration, such as time the noise occurs, duration of the noise, necessity for the noise, noise levels, nature of the locality etc.

Frequently Asked Questions

Due to the large numbers of complaints we receive, a procedure has been developed to ensure that each complaint is dealt with consistently and fairly. Complaints that are made anonymously are not usually pursued because an assessment needs to be made of how the noise being complained of affects the person making a complaint.

If you are making a complaint, your details will not be disclosed to the noise source, but they may have to be provided in the event that a noise nuisance case ends up in court.

We will make an assessment of the facts known about the case, including any evidence obtained through monitoring, and will make a reasoned judgement on whether the noise being complained of amounts to a statutory noise nuisance.

This is not the case. Judgement of the presence of a Statutory Noise Nuisance is dependent on a number of factors. Whilst one factor is the time of day, noise could still be deemed a Statutory Nuisance throughout daytime hours if it is judged to be loud, persistent and/or frequent enough.

This is not the case. It is very difficult for us to prove anything that could be considered reasonable use of one’s property, such as the closing of doors, to be a Statutory Nuisance. There are however extreme circumstances whereby we may be able to take action, such as the constant incessant slamming of doors or banging whereby it can be clearly demonstrated that there is malice involved.

No, unfortunately due to resourcing issues a dedicated ‘out of hours’ service is not possible.

The Local Authority has a Statutory duty to investigate all noise complaints received. Officers will undertake a comprehensive investigation, which may involve visiting the complainant or installing noise monitoring equipment within a complainant’s home to assess the noise disturbance before deciding on an appropriate course of action, if any.

No, we do not inform them of any dates or times when monitoring is going to take place. We inform the source of the complaint of our investigation with the aim of resolving the matter at the outset, but a monitoring schedule is not disclosed.

The equipment is typically installed in the room you are most disturbed by the noise. This must be a habitable room where you spend a significant amount of time, so kitchens, bathrooms and hallways are not suitable. Monitoring equipment can also be installed in the garden on occasions, but only where you are predominantly disturbed by the noise when outside.

No, audio is only taken when a complainant presses a trigger switch to indicate they are disturbed by the noise, at which point it records for a period before knocking back off. Rest assured, your privacy is protected and the equipment only records when you activate it.

People are sometimes concerned that our sound level meters need to be fixed to a wall or fixture within a room when we install them, resulting in damage to the property This is not the case, the kit is installed on a professional camera style tripod and the only thing we require is an electricity socket for a power supply in order to power the equipment.

There are times when, despite our best efforts, a noise complaint cannot be pursued any further. This may be due to our judgement that a noise nuisance does not exist, or because there is a lack of supporting evidence to make a strong case. We understand that you may feel aggrieved that we are taking no further action, however we will advise you that under S82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 you can take own action in respect of an alleged statutory noise nuisance.

Carmarthenshire County Council receive numerous complaints each year regarding noise arising from cockerels crowing.

We understand that crowing is a natural and instinctive thing for cockerels to do, yet if it occurs during early hours of the morning or for prolonged periods of time over the day then the crowing could cause a disturbance to your neighbours and constitute a Statutory Noise Nuisance as defined by section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. This can particularly be the case if the cockerel is kept in a built-up residential area, whereby the complainants are living close to the cockerel.

The aim of this is to provide practical steps to try to minimise your cockerel crowing

Being told your cockerel is crowing too much:

We appreciate you may be annoyed and/or upset when you initially hear that a complaint has been made in relation to your cockerel crowing too much. You may be made aware of the complaint by your neighbour and/or by the Local Authority.

This may be the first time you are made aware that your cockerel is crowing too much, try to remain calm should this happen. Try to see the situation from their point of view.

Steps to take to try to minimise the crowing….

  • Firstly, have a think about whether you need the cockerel. It is often a misconception that a cockerel is needed for hens to lay eggs, yet this is not the case.
  • Ensure the cockerel is located as far away from the neighbours as possible
  • Keep the coop as dark as possible to minimise early morning crowing
  • Lower the ceiling height of the coop to prevent cockerel throwing its head back and crowing.
  • Sound proofing the coop that houses the cockerel
  • Having more than one cockerel can cause them to compete with each other and crow more
  • Keep the cockerel in the coop during the night and until a reasonable hour during the morning, such as 7:30am on weekdays and 8:00am on weekends.

Be mindful that in some cases, the location of where the cockerel is kept could be so unsuitable (ie within such proximity to residential properties) that none of the above measures will be sufficient to reduce the noise from the cockerels, should this be the case and your cockerel is causing a disturbance to your neighbours then rehousing your cockerel should be considered.

Most people will have to undertake DIY works at some point to get jobs done around the house. The jobs could be small scale such as hanging a picture on the wall to larger scale like a complete renovation of a property. People often have to ‘fit in’ doing these works around their day-to-day work, which means the DIY works are often done during the evenings or weekends. This, coupled with the fact that works of this nature are inherently noisy, can cause neighbours to complain. This leaflet aims to provide some simple steps that can be taken to try to minimise disturbance on your neighbours.

There are no time restrictions stipulated within UK legislation as to when DIY works can or can’t be undertaken. This does not mean people are free to do such works when they want, if it is likely to cause a disturbance to their neighbours. Due regard must be given to the potential noise disturbance their actions may have on their neighbours by ensuring their neighbours are having the respite they need.

Reasonable times for DIY works….

What we would consider reasonable times to undertake DIY works in most circumstances are outlined below:

  • Monday to Friday - 08:00 – 20:00
  • Saturday - 09:00 – 19:00
  • Sunday - 10:00 - 17:00

Before starting DIY works….

Talk to your neighbour before starting any DIY works. Let them know your intentions, how long the works are likely to go on for, and the times that you hope to work. Once you have agreed these times, stick to them. Consider any concerns they have seriously and compromise where possible to overcome these issues.

Provide them with your contact number so if they have got any concerns or complaints they can contact and discuss these with you.

When undertaking DIY Works….

  • Radio - Often DIY works and listening to music/radio goes hand in hand. Being mindful of what volume the radio/music is being played at can reduce the noise disturbance caused to your neighbours.
  • Party walls - Undertaking works on party walls can sound very loud to your neighbour, even ‘quieter’ tasks such as sanding the wall can sound loud if done on a party wall, therefore being mindful of the times you do this can minimise the noise disturbance caused to your neighbours. You may also need to meet the requirements of the Party Wall Act. For further information see Building Regulations.
  • Noisy works - Keeping noisy works, such as drilling, hammering to hours such as 10am – 4pm can reduce the noise disturbance on your neighbours. Also, providing them with plenty of respite from this work will help.
  • Tools - Make sure the tools you use are well maintained and are fit for use. Often wrong tools for the job or old tools in poor disrepair will create more noise than necessary.

Making a noise complaint…

If you are being disturbed by DIY noise we advise, if safe to do so, to approach your neighbour and discuss your complaint with them first. Should this not be successful then please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01558 825340, alternatively you can make a noise complaint online or e-mail We will investigate your complaint accordingly in line with our noise complaint procedure. We aim to resolve complaints informally where possible but have legal powers should the noise be excessive and constitute a Statutory Nuisance. In these instances, we will consider serving a legal notice on the person responsible asking them to take measures to reduce the noise disturbance, such as restricting the times they are permitted to carry out the works.

We deal with noise complaints arising from public entertainment venues, including pubs, clubs, outdoor events, and sporting occasions.

The majority of venues providing entertainment require a licence.

Visit the Licensing section of our website for more information on this process or to make an application.

We deal with many issues and queries relating to wind turbines. These can range from a small domestic wind turbine generator serving a single property, to a large scale wind farm development of sufficient generating capacity to be of national significance.

A specific procedure has been developed to investigate noise complaints from wind turbines:

There are provisions contained within section 60 and 61 of the Control of Pollution Act 1974 to control noise from construction or demolition sites.

Section 61 of the Act enables a person who intends to carry out works on a construction site to apply for prior consent. There are steps that must be followed when considering an application for prior consent, and sufficient time periods prior to commencement of work must be allowed before consent can be granted. If consent is granted, it will usually contain conditions that must be complied with in order to minimise noise as far as is reasonably possible.

Further information on this process and an outline of the kind of information we need is contained within this document:

Many noise complaints relate to misfiring or faulty burglar alarms. In cases where the persistent sounding of an alarm gives rise to a statutory noise nuisance, we have the power to obtain a warrant to enter a property and stop the alarm sounding. If this course of action is taken, it is usually done accompanied by a police officer and an alarm specialist.

In order to avoid the need for obtaining a warrant and forcibly entering a property to deal with a faulty alarm, we keep a register of nominated keyholders for properties with alarms. This is a confidential register and makes contacting someone who can assist with a faulty alarm if the homeowner is away a simple process.

Register of KeyHolders for Burglar Alarms

Load More

Make a noise complaint