Tell us about an empty property

Page updated on: 13/04/2018

Empty homes can be a target for Anti-Social Behaviour or cause concern for the community.  We want to know about empty residential homes and we will do our best to try and get properties back into use.  We offer a number of schemes to assist home owners who may not know what to do with the property.

We also have enforcement powers that we may use as an Authority if the empty property is causing significant risk or concern. We always do our best to negotiate with owners to bring about improvements to empty properties, as we believe the best solution is to return these wasted and much needed homes back in to use.

However, in the event that our negotiations fail, we may consider enforcement action. This action will vary depending on specific circumstances and the condition of the property. Action we could take could include:

Statutory Notices

Various powers under the Housing Act 2004 allows a Local Authority to request improvement works, prohibit the use of or even carry out works to empty properties. There are also a range of actions which can also be taken to request improvement works or tackle dangerous conditions with empty properties, in line with Planning Enforcement, Building Control and Public Health legislation.

An enforced sales procedure

The Law of Property Act 1925 enables us to sell vacant properties to recover any debt owing to us.  Where money is owed to us, a charge is placed on the property before it is sold through an auction.

An Empty Dwelling Management Order (EDMO

An Empty Dwelling Management Order (EDMO) allows us to effectively 'step into the shoes' of the owner. There are two types of order - an interim EDMO and a final EDMO. They allow us to take over privately owned houses and flats that have been unoccupied for a specified period of time and where certain other conditions are met.

Tell us about an empty property