Club premises certificate

Page updated on: 02/04/2024

A club premises certificate authorises qualifying clubs to use their premises for activities such as: 

  • Supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club or to the order of a member of the club
  • Sale by retail of alcohol to a guest of a club member
  • Provision of regulated entertainment

Only qualifying clubs may hold club premises certificates. In order to be a qualifying club, there must be at least 25 members and the club must meet the requirements set out in part 4 of the Licensing Act. Instant membership of a club is not permitted and new members must wait at least two days between their application and their admission to the club. 

Apply for a club premises certificate 

Before preparing your application, you should read our Licensing Policy, and follow the statutory guidance (issued by the Home Office under section 182 of the Licensing Act 2003), when describing the steps you propose to take to promote the licensing objectives, which are: 

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  •  Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm 

Some areas of the County are subject to a Cumulative Impact Policy, whilst others are highlighted as hotspots of alcohol related crime and disorder, both of which are set out in the policy.  

Making a change to an existing certificate 

Depending on the type of change you wish to make, you can submit either a full variation or minor variation application. The full variation process is very similar to the application process for a new certificate and the fee is the same. You should use this process if you want to make a change to your certificate, such as amending the operating hours. 

If you want to make a small change to your club premises certificate, you may be able to use the minor variation process. This is cheaper and quicker than the full variation application. Small changes could include:

  • removing a licensable activity
  • making small changes to the layout of your premises 

If you apply for a minor variation and your application is rejected, you will not be able to appeal. However, you can reapply using the full variation process. You can only use the minor variation application where the changes you're requesting will not adversely impact any of the four licensing objectives (prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, prevention of public nuisance, protection of children from harm).

You are advised to contact us to discuss your application prior to submitting an application.