Premises licence

Page updated on: 14/02/2024

A premises licence authorises the use of the premises for one or more licensable activities, which are:

  • Sale, by retail of alcohol
  • Provision of regulated entertainment
  • Provision of late night refreshment

Before preparing any premises licence application, you should read our Licensing Policy, and follow the statutory guidance (issued by the Home Office under section 182 of the Licensing Act 2003), when describing the steps you propose to take to promote the licensing objectives, which are: 

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm 

Some areas of the County are subject to a Cumulative Impact Policy, whilst others are highlighted as hotspots of alcohol related crime and disorder, both of which are set out in the policy. 

You can apply for a licence on the website or you can download the relevant documents and return them to us.

Apply for a premises licence

If your application relates to a community, church or village hall, you can apply for the sale of alcohol to be the responsibility of a management committee instead of a premises supervisor provided that the committee hold the premises licence.

You can also apply to replace the Designated Premises Supervisor, if you already have one, with the management committee.

Depending on the type of change you wish to make, you can submit either a full variation or minor variation application.

The full variation process is very similar to the application process for a new premises licence and the fee is the same. You should use this process if you want to make changes to your licence, such as increasing the hours when you sell alcohol.

If you want to make a small change to your premises licence, you may be able to use the minor variation process. This is cheaper and quicker than the full variation application. Small changes could include:

  • removing a licensable activity
  • reducing the hours you sell alcohol 
  • making small changes to the layout of your premises 

If you apply for a minor variation and your application is rejected, you will not be able to appeal. However, you can reapply using the full variation process. You can only use the minor variation application where the changes you're requesting will not adversely impact any of the four licensing objectives (prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, prevention of public nuisance, protection of children from harm).

You are advised to contact us to discuss your application prior to submitting an application.  You can apply for a variation to your licence on the website or you can download the relevant documents and return them to us.

Apply for a full variation  Apply for a minor variation

A provisional statement provides you with a means of establishing whether a premises that is being (or is about to be) constructed or substantially altered for the provision of licensable activities would be granted a premise licence after building works are complete.

This gives you an idea whether the proposed business is viable before investing significant amounts of money.

Download provisional statement application form

Only the premises licence holder can apply to change the person named for the role of DPS.  In addition, the nominated person must sign a consent form which must be submitted with the application, otherwise your application will not be valid.

You can apply for a variation of the DPS on the website or you can download the relevant documents and return them to us.

Apply for a variation of DPS

If you no longer wish to carry out the role of DPS but an application to vary the licence has not been made, you can request that your name is removed from the licence.

The request must be made in writing, stating both your name and address as well as the premises details and licence number. The notice must also state the time and date you wish to be removed as DPS and must confirm that you have given a copy of the notice to the premises licence holder requesting that they return the licence to the authority within 14 days of receiving the notice.

If this procedure is not followed you will continue to be the DPS at the premises.

There is no fee required to accompany this request.

To transfer a premises licence to you from the existing licence holder, you must apply to formally amend the licence. You can apply to transfer a licence on the website or you can download the relevant documents and return them to us.

Interim Authority Licence

An Interim Authority Notice must be submitted if a holder of a premises licence dies, becomes insolvent or becomes mentally incapable.  An Interim Authority Notice will allow premises to trade until the licence can be transferred.

Transfer a premises licence  Download an Interim Authority Notice application form (.pdf)

If you no longer wish to remain as the holder of a premises licence, you can choose to submit a written request to surrender the licence. Once you have downloaded and completed the form, return it to us along with the relevant licence documents.

Once the surrender notice has been submitted there is a period of 28 days within which applications may be submitted to transfer the licence without your consent.

Download a surrender notice (.pdf)

If you are the freeholder, leaseholder or occupier of a property which has a premises licence, you can ask us to let you know when an application is received in respect of those premises.

Download a notification of interest form (.pdf)