Holiday caravan site licence

Page updated on: 06/12/2023

Holiday caravan sites operate under Caravan Sites Control of Development Act 1960 and Public Health Act 1936, and are normally only licensed for use by residents for eight to 10 months of the year. The new Mobile Homes (Wales) Act 2013 does not apply to holiday caravans.

If you use land as a caravan site, it will almost certainly need planning permission. Depending on your site location, you can obtain this from us or in some instances the Brecon Beacons National Park Authority.

If a campsite or caravan park has been operating without planning consent, it may be possible to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness based on historical evidence.  

Once your site has planning permission, you are required to apply for a Caravan Site Licence.

We will visit your site to assess if it meets minimum standards, such as whether there is sufficient space, facilities and fire points available for the numbers of caravans or tents proposed. This should mean there is a low risk of harm to site residents and visitors.

Download an application form (.pdf)

There are some exemptions from site licensing:

  • A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling, and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations, such as the Caravan and Camping Club
  • Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy and traveller sites
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 month