Licence to plant flowers, shrubs or trees

Page updated on: 23/01/2023

You only need to apply for a licence if you are a town or community council and wish to plant flowers, shrubs or trees on a verge or roundabout.

How to apply?

You will need the following information:

  • Name of road and plan of precise location of site
  • Width of road
  • Width of verge
  • Full details of flowers, shrubs and trees including the size of hole needed to plant them.
  • Expected width and height of plants when they are mature.

Terms and conditions of the licence

  • In the case of emergencies, the County Council and service providers reserve the right to remove any plants and will not be liable to pay for any damage.
  • The planting must not obstruct visibility of drivers at junctions and/or bends, or private entrances.
  • Applicants are advised that any planting should not enclose the highway and that the land, the subject of the licence, remains highway over which the public are free to exercise their rights of passage.
  • Maintenance of the planting is the responsibility of the licensee.
  • The licence shall be annexed to papers relating to the premises and shall remain in force until withdrawn by the authority.
  • Additional conditions relating to any approvals.

Application form

There is no charge for this application. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for your application to be assessed. Please email your completed application form to 

Download application form (.pdf)