Adapting your home

Page updated on: 30/11/2023

Do you have problems getting around your home because of an illness, condition or disability?  

We may be able to adapt your home to help you to live more independently. When your home is ‘adapted’ it is changed so that it is more suitable to meet your physical needs. Adaptations can include anything from a ramp, a stair lift to a walk-in shower. This list is not exhaustive, but the adaptations we can offer will depend on your needs and your home following an assessment by an Occupational Therapist.

If you own your own home or a private tenant in most cases help is available if you (or someone living with you) is disabled, you may qualify for a disabled-facilities grant to help pay for adaptations or facilities. The maximum grant available is currently £36,000. You do not need to be registered as disabled to apply.

We have limited resources to undertake adaptations, so we aim to help those who can least afford to pay for works to their properties first.  We will ask you to provide us with your income and savings information so we can assess if you have the financial ‘means’ to pay for work.

You may be asked to pay a contribution towards the cost of the works, but this would be discussed with you before proceeding. If the adaptation is for a child, means testing will not be considered on the child or their parent or guardian.

Also if you are in receipt of one of the following income-related benefits you are unlikely to have to pay a contribution;

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Income-Based Job-Seekers Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £15,050
  • Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £15,050
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance

If you do not want to disclose your financial details or you feel you won’t qualify, we would not be able to proceed with any adaptations on your behalf. However, you can still contact our approved builders to arrange work independently of the Authority.

If you’re a council tenant there will be no cost for the work we do to your home. Your rent is unlikely to increase as a result of the adaptation to your home, but we will discuss this with you before going ahead with the works if your rent is affected.

You or a family member can apply directly (or you may be referred by a health or social care professional). An assessment will be carried out by an occupational therapist who will work with us to find out what changes we can make to help you live more safely and independently in your home. If we cannot adapt your home, we can talk to you about moving to another home which is already adapted, or that can be adapted to suit your needs.

It is essential that we speak to you when we take the application as we need to ensure we gather the right information.

Call us on 01554 899231 - Monday to Thursday 8.45 – 5pm and 8.45 – 4.30 on Friday.  

If you are a tenant of Gwalia/Pobl, Family HA, Bro Myrddin, Wales & West HA you will need to call Delta Wellbeing on 0300 333 22 22.