Business waste

Page updated on: 01/05/2024

All businesses have a duty to keep their waste safe and to dispose or recycle it using a licensed waste contractor. 

From 6 April 2024, new Welsh Government rules will come into force. All non-domestic premises will need to separate recyclable materials from other waste.

All enquiries regarding setting up a new collection, reporting missed collections, reporting damaged bins or change over arrangements should be directed to CWM Environmental on 01267 225520 or by visiting the CWM Environmental Website.

If you wish to set up a trade waste collection, you will need to complete a business waste collection contract before CWM starts collecting your waste. Your contract will be automatically renewed each year and you will be notified in advance of any changes in charges. 

We do not provide clinical or hygiene waste collection for commercial customers.

There is a separate collection for business bulky waste. The service currently costs £247 up to 10 items. Please contact us for more information. 

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 defines business waste as waste from premises used for trade or business or for the purposes of sport, recreation, or entertainment. The Act introduces a ‘duty of care’ which all businesses must comply with.

You must take all reasonable steps to keep waste safe and dispose of it properly. If you give your waste to someone else, you must make sure they are licensed to dispose of it in accordance with the duty of care.

You are responsible for and must control storage and disposal of your business waste. You must ensure:

  • All waste is kept safely and securely in a suitable container.
  • Whoever you give your waste to, has the authority to take it i.e., a registered waste carrier.
  • When your waste is transferred, a waste transfer note must accompany it.
  • Waste transfer notes must be kept for 2 years and be made available to an authorised officer upon request.
  • If you dispose of your waste yourself, you must use a licensed facility such as Nantycaws Transfer Station, Carmarthen. Private licensed sites can be found online, search ‘waste transfer stations in my area’. You must be registered as a waste carrier to transport your waste, for more details go to Natural Resources Wales

You should:

  • Purchase or hire suitable bins to store your waste.
  • Store your waste securely and safely – in a container so that the public, animals or vermin cannot gain access.
  • Set up a contract with a registered waste carrier, to provide you with bins for storage, a collection service, and the necessary paperwork.
  • Inform all your staff how they should dispose of refuse legally – preferably in writing.

You are NOT allowed to:

  • Take your business waste home with you and put it in your household bin.
  • Take your business waste to the Council’s Household Waste Recycling Centres.
  • Place your business waste in any public litter bin or public recycling bank.

Failure to comply may lead to prosecution and a fine.

Cwm Environmental provide trade waste and recycling services, you can contact them on 01267 225520 or visit their website.