Section 171 excavating the road
If you are planning to carry out temporary excavation in the highway you must apply for consent from our Street Care team under the Highways Act 1980.
Temporary excavation is used for trial holes to establish ground conditions and determine exact position of utility apparatus. Other uses may be to form temporary surfaces and reconstruction of boundary walls where excavation in the highway is necessary.
Work must be carried out by a person who has a prescribed qualification as a supervisor. You must also ensure that a person with prescribed qualifications as a trained operative is present on the site when work is in progress.
For a Temporary Excavation application, you will need to include:
- Temporary Excavation and site inspection fees of £537.
- 1 copy of site plan to a scale not less than 1/500 on ground showing the applicants property and proposed works marked in red.
- 1 copy of location plan to a scale not less than 1/1250 on ground or 1/2500 on ground or 1/10,000 on ground showing location of the site in relation to its surroundings.
Please allow 28 days for a temporary excavation application to be processed.
Licensing & Permits
What licences do you need to trade outdoors?
Alcohol & entertainment licences
- Club premises certificate
- Premises licence
- Personal licence
- Temporary Event Notices
- Comment on a licence application
- Making a complaint about a licensed premises
- Renewing / cancelling your licence
- Annual fees
- Requesting a review
Charity collection permit
Holiday caravan site licence
Mobile homes – Residential site licence
Scrap Metal Dealer Licence
Sex establishments licence
Street café licence - Trading outdoors
Street trading licence
Taxi/Private Hire Licences
- Dual driver licence
- Hackney carriage licence
- Private hire operator licence
- Private hire vehicle licence
- Taxi/private hire licence fees
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
Hoarding / fence licence
More from Licensing & Permits