Section 171 excavating the road
If you are planning to carry out temporary excavation in the highway you must apply for consent from our Street Care team under the Highways Act 1980.
Work must to be carried out by a person who has a prescribed qualification as a supervisor. You must also ensure that a person with prescribed qualifications as a trained operative is present on the site when work is in progress.
Please note you will be required to provide a bond to indemnify the authority against substandard workmanship. The bond will be based upon:
- £30 per linear meter in verge
- £80 per linear meter in footway
- £100 per linear meter in carriageway.
This fee will be released after 2 years if excavation is less than 1.5m deep or after 3 years if over 1.5m deep.
Should the reinstatement works become defective within the warranty period, then the defect will need to be rectified and a further 12 month warranty period will be incurred.
For a Temporary Excavation application, you will need to include:
- Temporary Excavation and site inspection fees of £458.
- Correctly calculated bond.
- 1 copy of site plan to a scale not less than 1/500 on ground showing the applicants property and proposed works marked in red.
- 1 copy of location plan to a scale not less than 1/1250 on ground or 1/2500 on ground or 1/10,000 on ground showing location of the site in relation to its surroundings.
Please allow 28 days for a temporary excavation application to be processed.
More from Licensing & Permits