Antisocial behaviour

Page updated on: 06/03/2024

What is antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour is a broad term. It includes behaviour which has caused or is likely to cause you harassment, alarm or distress.

Under the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016, ‘Anti-social behaviour and other prohibited conduct’ is a fundamental term of your occupation contract.

Any form or antisocial behaviour and prohibited conduct, by you, those who live with you and who visit you is considered a breach of contract and will not be tolerated.

Anti-social behaviour and prohibited conduct may include:

  • noise nuisance
  • drunken behaviour
  • neighbour disputes
  • drugs, substance misuse, drug dealing or cultivation
  • verbal abuse
  • threatening behaviour
  • harassment and intimidation
  • domestic abuse (including physical, sexual, psychological, emotional or financial abuse)
  • damaging property
  • pets and animal nuisance
  • illegal activities

Some things count as antisocial behaviour if they happen during unsociable hours.

For instance, the noise of a vacuum cleaner is not antisocial during the day, but would count as antisocial behaviour if you are hearing it at 2am.

If you are being disturbed by loud music and noises, you can report it.

Report Air, Water or Noise Pollution Form - My Account.

See more information about Noise complaints.

Noise or behaviour that is part of everyday life is not considered antisocial behaviour. For example:

  • children playing in the street
  • poor parking
  • children crying
  • household and reasonable domestic noise – day to day living noises
  • groups of people who aren’t causing a disturbance
  • DIY at reasonable hours
  • intolerance to normal lifestyle issues – clash of lifestyles / personalities / cultures
  • pets straying across gardens
  • one off events, such as a party
  • 1 to 1 disputes or personal disputes where no breach of contract has occurred
  • problems arising from conflicts of lifestyle, such as shift work

Talk it out

Before you report antisocial behaviour, you can try and resolve the situation yourself.

In most cases, it is a good idea to attempt to speak to the person or people who are causing the problem. This usually resolves the problem quickly and is a better long term solution.

If you are not able to resolve the situation this way, there are other options available to you.

Contact the council

If you are a Carmarthenshire County Council contract-holder (tenant) or are reporting an issue with a Carmarthenshire County Council tenant, you can contact us and report antisocial behaviour to us

When you report antisocial behaviour, it is useful if you can explain:

  • what is being done
  • who is doing it
  • when it happened (dates and times) 
  • how often it has happened

Contact your landlord

Contact your landlord or the police if nobody involved in the situation is a council tenant.

Contact the police

Dyfed Powys police have guidance on options on their website.

You can also report antisocial behaviour to the police by calling 101.

If people are in danger, call 999.

We will assess the level of support you need.

Our contact centre may give you advice on how to deal with the situation.

We may assign you a housing officer. The officer will:

  • make contact with you by phone and by email if the phone does not work
  • make an appointment with you
  • draw up an action plan
  • put the action plan into practice
  • agree how often they will update you
  • contact you before agreeing to close your case

The type of resolution will be different depending on what the antisocial behaviour is.

What might happen to resolve the situation:

  • Mediation
  • Warnings – letters are issued in some instances if evidence is available of a breach of the terms of an occupation contract (tenancy agreement)
  • Legal action – in some rare cases, as a last resort to deal with criminal behaviour and/or continuous occupation contract breaches
  • Injunctions
  • Community Protection Notices / Fixed Penalty Notices

Mediation helps the person behind the antisocial behaviour to understand your feelings. An independent mediator will arrange for you to meet. They will help to guide your discussion to find a way forward. Most antisocial behaviour is resolved through mediation.