Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
The proper handling of personal information by Carmarthenshire County Council is very important to the delivery of our services and maintaining public confidence.
Personal data is any information that relates to a person who can be directly or indirectly identified from the information. The terms ‘information’ and ‘personal data’ are used throughout this privacy notice and have the same meaning.
To ensure that the Council treats personal information correctly, we seek to adhere in full to the requirements of Data Protection legislation.
This privacy notice has therefore been produced to explain as clearly as possible what we do with your personal data.
1. The purpose for which we use your personal data
We collect information using CCTV for the purposes of crime prevention, detection and public safety.
The legal basis for the processing of your information is to exercise our official authority or to perform a specific task in the public interest that it is set out in Law, namely the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and the Local Government Act 1972.
2. What type of information do we use?
Our CCTV systems capture video footage of you in public places from which you can be identified. None of our systems can record sound.
CCTV systems are located in prominent locations on the streets of our main towns and also in Council buildings and reception areas.
3. Do we use information received from other sources?
To operate our CCTV systems, we do not obtain information about you from any other source.
4. Transferring your information abroad
Your information will not be transferred outside the United Kingdom.
5. Who has access to your information?
We share CCTV images with the following recipients:
- Dyfed Powys Police
- Schools (in relation to CCTV on School buses)
This is done in specific situations, such as:
- Where the Council is required to provide the information by law
- Where disclosing the information is required to prevent or detect a crime
- Where disclosure is in the vital interests of the person concerned
6. How long we will keep your information
Images are kept on our systems for 31 days and then automatically deleted or over-written. We are able to keep a recording for longer than this if it is needed for any of the purposes set out above.
7. Your Data Protection rights
You have the right to:
- Obtain access to the personal data that Carmarthenshire Council is processing about you
- Have any inaccurate or incomplete information rectified (corrected)
- Withdraw your consent to processing, where this is the only basis for the processing
- Make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the independent body in the UK which protects information rights
In some circumstances, you may have the right to:
- Object to the processing of your personal information
- The erasure of your personal data
- Restrict the processing of your personal information
- Data portability
8. Contact details
For more information regarding this privacy notice and your rights, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
Carmarthenshire County Council
Tel: 01267 224127
Contact details for the Information Commissioner’s Office along with further guidance on Data Protection legislation can be found on the ICO website.