The proper handling of personal information by Carmarthenshire County Council is very important to the delivery of our services and maintaining public confidence.
Personal data is any information that relates to a person who can be directly or indirectly identified from the information. The terms ‘information’ and ‘personal data’ are used throughout this privacy notice and have the same meaning.
To ensure that the Council treats personal information correctly, we seek to adhere in full to the requirements of Data Protection legislation.
This privacy notice has therefore been produced to explain as clearly as possible what we do with your personal data.
1. The purpose for which we use your personal data
The information we collect about you will be used for the purposes of:
Validating your identity in order to join Carmarthenshire Libraries, administering your membership and letting you know about any reservations you have made or upcoming events.
The legal basis for the processing of your information is to comply with our duty under Section 7 of the Public libraries and Museums Act 1964 to provide a comprehensive and efficient library service.
2. What type of information do we use?
We collect the following types of personal data about you to deliver this service:
- Date of birth
- Telephone number and email address
We will maintain a record of the books and other library materials you have borrowed for as long as you remain a member.
We also keep information about any overdue borrowing and any fines you incur.
3. Do we use information received from other sources?
To deliver this service, we only collect personal data directly from you and do not obtain information about you from any other source.
4. Transferring your information abroad
We use Microsoft Office 365 to process our electronic documents under the terms of a strict agreement, which safeguards your information. This personal data is hosted on servers outside the UK, but only in EU countries which are subject to the General Data Protection Regulation.
We don’t transfer any other information about you outside of the UK.
5. Who has access to your information?
In rare cases, if you do not return library materials you have borrowed, we may have to provide personal data about you to the Council’s Debtors section in order to recover the value of the item.
We do not share your information with any other recipient.
However, there are specific situations where we may be required to disclose information about you, such as:
- Where the Council is required to provide the information by law
- Where disclosing the information is required to prevent or detect a crime
- Where disclosure is in the vital interests of the person concerned
6. How long we will keep your information
We will keep your information for as long as you are a member. Membership lasts for 3 years after which and we delete our records a year after this ends.
7. Your Data Protection rights
You have the right to:
- Obtain access to the personal data that Carmarthenshire Council is processing about you
- Have any inaccurate or incomplete information rectified (corrected)
- Withdraw your consent to processing, where this is the only basis for the processing
- Make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the independent body in the UK which protects information rights
In some circumstances, you may have the right to:
- Object to the processing of your personal information
- The erasure of your personal data
- Restrict the processing of your personal information
- Data portability
8. Contact details
For more information regarding this privacy notice and your rights, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
Carmarthenshire County Council
Contact details for the Information Commissioner’s Office along with further guidance on Data Protection legislation can be found on the ICO website.