The proper handling of personal information by Carmarthenshire County Council is very important to the delivery of our services and maintaining public confidence.
Personal data is any information that relates to a person who can be directly or indirectly identified from the information. The terms ‘information’ and ‘personal data’ are used throughout this privacy notice and have the same meaning.
To ensure that the Council treats personal information correctly, we seek to adhere in full to the requirements of Data Protection legislation.
This privacy notice has therefore been produced to explain as clearly as possible what we do with your personal data.
1. The purpose for which we use your personal data
The information we collect about you will be used for the purpose(s) of:
- Make sure you meet the criteria for the Work Experience Programme
- Find you a placement
- Contact you by email about placement opportunities or suggest alternatives if your original choice is not available
Under the Data Protection legislation, we have to have a legal basis to allow us to process your information. This is to exercise our authority to employ staff under Section 111 of the Local Government Act 1972.
The basis for processing information about your health is that we need this information to meet our obligations under employment law.
2. What type of information do we use?
The Council provides opportunities for Work Experience across the organisation. This gives young people the chance to develop their skills in a workplace environment and supports our Learning Policy.
When you apply for Work Experience via our website, we collect the following information from you:
- Your name and contact details
- Your date of birth and gender
- The name of your school/college
- A name and contact details of a teacher/tutor/co-ordinator
- Name and contact details for someone to contact in an emergency
- Information about any health conditions you have that we’d need to know about, for instance, to make adjustments for you in the placement
- The job type you are requesting and any subjects you are studying
- Anything else you would like to tell us in support of your application
3. Do we use information received from other sources?
No. To deliver this service, we only collect personal data from you and don’t get information about you from anywhere else.
4. Transferring your information abroad
We use Microsoft Office 365 to process our electronic documents under the terms of a strict agreement, which safeguards your information. This personal data is hosted on servers outside of the UK, but only in EU countries which are subject to the General Data Protection Regulation.
We don’t transfer any other information about you outside of the UK.
5. Who has access to your information?
We only share your personal data with other Council departments that offer Work Experience placements. We do this so that they can make an informed decision about offering a suitable placement.
6. How long we will keep your information
We’ll hold your application securely in an electronic format, which can only be seen by employees who have a need to access it.
If your application for a work experience placement is not successful, the Council will destroy your personal data three months after we receive your application as determined by the Council’s Retention Guidelines.
If you are successful, we’ll keep your information six months after the end of your Work Experience placement. At the end of that period your personal data is deleted as determined by the Council’s Retention Guidelines.
7. Your Data Protection rights
You have the right to:
- Obtain access to the personal data that Carmarthenshire Council is processing about you
- Have any inaccurate or incomplete information rectified (corrected)
- Withdraw your consent to processing, where this is the only basis for the processing
- Make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the independent body in the UK which protects information rights
In some circumstances, you may have the right to:
- Object to the processing of your personal information
- The erasure of your personal data
- Restrict the processing of your personal information
- Data portability
8. Contact details
For more information regarding this privacy notice and your rights, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
Carmarthenshire County Council
Contact details for the Information Commissioner’s Office along with further guidance on Data Protection legislation can be found on the ICO website.