How to opt-out of the open register
The Electoral Register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. It is used to make sure only those who are entitled to, are able to vote.
The Open Register is an extract of the Electoral Register that is available to buy (formerly known as the Edited Register or Version for Sale).
Being excluded from the Open Register simply means that your details are not available to purchase for marketing purposes. It does not affect your right to vote or your credit rating.
The law enabling people to opt out was introduced in November 2001. Before then, anyone could buy the whole Electoral Register for a fee. Organisations that bought a copy before the law changed could still be using your details.
Your details may also have been made available if you didn't opt out in each year since 2002. Read more about this on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
Changing your preference
You can choose not to have your details published on the Open Register by 'opting out' when you register to vote. However if you are already registered, you can change your opt-out preference at any time by making a request with your full name, address and an indication of whether you wish to be included or deleted from the Open Register.
You can do this by emailing your request to email@example.com or by writing to us at Electoral Services, Block 4, Parc Myrddin, Richmond Terrace, Carmarthen, SA31 1HQ.
Council & Democracy
Councillors, AMs and MPs
- Your County Councillor
- Public Participation Strategy and Petition Scheme
- Councillor allowances and interests
- Town & Community Councillors
- Members of Welsh Parliament
- Members of Parliament
- Become a Councillor
Committees & Meetings
- Agendas & minutes
- Governance & Audit Committee
- Council Diary
- Democratic Services Committee
- Officer decisions
- Forward Plans
- Planning Committee
- Standards Committee
- Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE)
Strategies and plans
- Budget Digest
- Statement of accounts
- Dyfed Pension Fund
- Education through regional working (ERW)
- Swansea Bay City Deal
- Simple ways to save the Council money
Consultation & Performance
- Current Consultations
- Performance Management
- Audit Inspections & Reports
- The Well-being of Future Generations Act
- Well-being objectives
- Council's Annual Report 2021-22
Net Zero Carbon
Equality & Diversity
Armed Forces Covenant
Elections & Voting
- Local Elections 2022
- Eligibility to vote
- How do I vote?
- Register to vote
- Update your details on the Electoral Register
- Annual update of the voters roll
- How to opt-out of the open register
- Viewing the Electoral Register
- My nearest - Election information
- Senedd Cymru Elections 2021
- Police and Crime Commissioner Elections 2021
- Parliamentary General Election 2019
- Help for Disabled Voters
- Review of Parliamentary Boundaries
- Elections Act 2022 and Voter ID
- Community Review 2023
More from Council & Democracy