Learning and Development
The proper handling of personal information by Carmarthenshire County Council is very important to the delivery of our services and maintaining public confidence.
Personal data is any information that relates to a person who can be directly or indirectly identified from the information. The terms ‘information’ and ‘personal data’ are used throughout this privacy notice and have the same meaning.
To ensure that the Council treats personal information correctly, we seek to adhere in full to the requirements of Data Protection legislation.
This privacy notice has therefore been produced to explain as clearly as possible what we do with your personal data.
1. The purpose for which we use your personal data
Learning & Development use your information to provide training courses. This is an application based process and we need you to provide us with some personal data so that you can register your interest in a course. We also need information so that we can decide whether you are eligible for a course and to assist in providing the training.
2. What type of information do we use?
We collect the following types of personal data to deliver this service:
- Your name and address
- Telephone numbers so that we can contact you
- An email address so that we can write to you
- Your job title and some information about your role
- Reason for requesting a place on the course
- Your language preference
We also ask you to provide contact details for your line manager or appointed person, as well as information on a contact to send an invoice for payment for the course if they are a different person.
The lawful basis for collecting and using this personal data is to exercise our authority to train and develop staff under Section 111 of the Local Government Act 1972.
Where relevant, we also collect and use some sensitive personal data (known as special category data). This is limited to information on whether you have any access requirements that we need to be aware of when delivering a course. We therefore use this information to exercise our obligations under disability and employment law.
3. Do we use information received from other sources?
We only collect the personal data listed above directly from you, your manager or an appointed person.
4. Transferring your information abroad
Your information will not be transferred outside the United Kingdom.
5. Who has access to your information?
We do not normally share your personal data with anybody else.
However, there are some specific situations where we may be required to disclose information about you, such as:
- Where we are required to provide the information by law
- Where disclosing the information is required to prevent or detect a crime
- Where disclosure is in the vital interests of the person concerned
6. How long we will keep your information
You can find out how long we keep information by viewing our Retention Guidelines.
7. Your Data Protection rights
You have the right to:
- Obtain access to the personal data that Carmarthenshire Council is processing about you
- Have any inaccurate or incomplete information rectified (corrected)
- Withdraw your consent to processing, where this is the only basis for the processing
- Make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the independent body in the UK which protects information rights
In some circumstances, you may have the right to:
- Object to the processing of your personal information
- The erasure of your personal data
- Restrict the processing of your personal information
- Data portability
8. Contact details
For more information regarding this privacy notice and your rights, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
Carmarthenshire County Council
Tel: 01267 224127
Contact details for the Information Commissioner’s Office along with further guidance on Data Protection legislation can be found on the ICO website.