Shared Equity Homeowners

Page updated on: 05/09/2023

When you buy a shared-equity home you will sign a section 106 (S106) agreement which sets out what you can and cannot do with your property.  

If the agreement allows you to make alterations to your home, you will need to contact us to explain exactly what you intend to do.

We will only refuse your request if:

  • it would break your S106 agreement; or
  • it would increase the value of the property so much that it is no longer an affordable home.

You would be responsible for making sure you get any permission needed for the work (for example, planning permission and building regulations approval) before starting the work. We would not contribute anything towards the cost of improvements.

Your S106 agreement will also specify things such as who can buy your home and the process you must use when selling your home.

Your S106 agreement is usually kept with the deeds of your home and may be in the pack the solicitor acting for you gave you when you bought your home. Your solicitor or mortgage provider may have a copy. If you cannot find your agreement, fill in our online form to ask for a copy. It can take up to 10 working days for us to process your request.

Your S106 agreement will usually specify what the price you can sell your home for is based on.

Request a copy S106 Request an amend to S106